Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Savannah's Birthday

On Tuesday morning, October 6th, at 8:30, my water broke on my way to answer the door for the cable guy. I wasn't sure it was my water & I was having Summer over for lunch & so I decided to go back to sleep. (Poor cable guy probably just thought I wet my pants.) When Summer got there, she said I should check with the doctor in case I was in fact in labor. I made a 1:00 appointment & then had a nice lunch & put on cute clothes (in case I really was in labor). Brandon met us at the doctor's office & sure enough-my water had broken, the cramps that I was feeling were contractions & they put me in a wheel chair to take me straight over to the hospital.
The nurses all told us that since it was our first time, I would be in labor for at least 12 hours & possibly 18 or more. We called our parents to let them know what was going on, but told them not to come to the hospital yet because she wasn't coming until at least early Wednesday morning. (Of course neither of soon-to-be-grandparents listened to us-which turned out to be a good thing.) The worst part of the whole thing was getting the IV. I already hate needles. 5 attempts at digging around in my arms with the needle & 3 nurses later, they finally got one successfully in. Mom said she could hear my crying from out in the hall. I had been having contractions at a 3/4 on a scale of 1-10 on a pain scale. I thought these would slowly progress on the scale...I was wrong. During the horrible hour of IV attempts, contractions shot up to a 7/8! I was desperately wanting the epidural that I couldn't have until my IV was in & I had finished the bag of fluid. Finally we got situated & my new best friend Dave, the nurse anesthetist gave me his miracle drugs. Shortly after, the nurses were surprised to discover that I was dialated to a 9 & we would be having the baby soon. My parents & Corey had been hanging out with us off & on that afternoon & it was time for them to leave so that I could start pushing.

One hour later, at 7:58, our sweet baby girl arrived! Savannah Ruth was 7 pounds 9 ounces and 19 & 1/2 inches long.

She came out screaming & squirming. Dr. Speaks said she'd never delivered a baby who came out moving around as much as she did. (That explained all of the kicking I was feeing in my ribs the last month of pregnancy!) Her skin quickly turned a beautiful pink color & she had a full head of hair. Mom said her hair looked just like mine when I was born-dark, with tips that looked like they'd been frosted. They immediately lay her on my chest & Brandon & I just smiled & cried. We couldn't believe how beautiful & perfect she was. Her first guests got to come in-Blake, Kris, Marty, Linda, Adam, Jamey, Corey, Danae, Aunt Karen & Summer. Baby Savannah had wide eyes & held her head up high as she was passed around & got to meet all of her family.


Our new little family!
Daddy's little girl.
Everyone is waiting...
Here's the proud new daddy's to make his big announcement!
Mimi & Papa Winn calling to tell everyone about their new granddaughter.
Baby Savanna already has both grandfather's wrapped around her little finger.

Here are the proud uncles: Corey, Jamey & Adam.

No comments:

Post a Comment